Energy efficient dwellings are the future homes. Anyone gearing towards a greener home must take into consideration the following features which combine to create an energy efficient home.
The main features of energy efficient homes are:
- Increased insulation to all areas including walls, roofs, floors, etc. External insulation to existing or old buildings should be considered; Insulated raft foundation instead of traditional strip foundations.
- Air tightness. Airtightness is the key. We have achieved 1.25ACH or below in many renovation projects. It does add time and cost onto a project, however the payback will be achieved much sooner the lower the ACH.
- Heat recovery ventilation systems.
- Solar panels, PV panels.
- Rainwater harvesting tank.
- Insulated raft foundations. Entire house wrapped in insulation externally including the roof.
- Incorporating measures that decrease the energy use in the house, including passive (best use of solar gains) and active (efficient heating and ventilation).
- Incorporating appropriate renewable energy sources and the sustainable building materials and technologies.